Have you found yourself in a bit of a cold spot because your trusty freezer isn’t working as it should? Don’t call the repair man just yet; here are some simple checks you can do yourself. Sometimes the solution is much easier than you think!
Remember, safety first! Before you start your inspection, always unplug your freezer.
Step-by-Step Freezer Checklist
- Check the Power Supply: You’d be surprised how often something so simple is the culprit. Make sure your freezer is properly plugged in, and check to see that the outlet is functioning properly by plugging another device into the same outlet.
- Inspect the Freezer’s Thermostat: Your freezer’s temperature is controlled by an internal thermostat. If it’s set too high, your freezer might not be cold enough. Try adjusting the thermostat to a lower setting and see if that helps.
- Examine the Door Seal: A worn-out or damaged door seal can allow cold air to escape, causing your freezer to work overtime–or worse, not keep cold at all. Inspect the seal around the edge of your freezer door for any signs of wear and tear.
- Look for Frost Build-up: Sometimes, too much frost can interfere with the freezer’s cooling process. Defrosting your freezer might solve the problem.
- Check the Coils: Over time, the condenser coils on the back of your freezer can accumulate dust and dirt, making it harder for your freezer to cool down. Luckily, it’s an easy fix– just clean these coils with a coil brush or vacuum.
- Listen for the Motor: If your freezer is on but not cooling, the motor might be the issue. Listen for any unusual sounds. You should hear a gentle hum from it. If it’s making strange sounds, or if it’s completely silent, it might be time to call a professional.
- Check the Evaporator Fan: The evaporator fan circulates cold air inside the freezer. If it’s not working properly, your freezer won’t cool effectively. For this fix, you’re better off calling a professional.
It’s always frustrating when our appliances aren’t working as they should, but with a little patience and some handy know-how, we can often find the simplest solution for a minor problem. But, if your freezer is still acting up after your checks, or if you’re in doubt about what you can fix, don’t hesitate to call in the experts.
Trinity Home Advisors is here to take care of all your home woes. With our warranty plans, we offer round-the-clock care for all your home appliance and system needs. Take a look at our products and get covered today!